Sunday, March 2, 2008

UFC 82 results

UFC 82 was last night. I don't want to spoil it for anyone who hasn't seen it yet, so if you haven't seen it yet please stop reading now.

I ended up going 8-2 on my predictions. The full results can be found here. A couple thoughts:

-While I think Anderson Silva lost the first round, he completely dominated the second round, ending the fight with 8 seconds left in the round. As the commentators noted, there really isn't anyone left for him to fight at 185. While it seems unlikely, I think it would be awesome if somehow Silva was able to fight Georges St. Pierre. The main difficulty in this is obviously that St. Pierre fights at 170, and he'd presumably be at a big disadvantage at 185. Still though, that would be a great fight to see.

-As soon as I saw that Cheick Kongo was going to fight Heath Herring, I thought that this would be an easy, easy win for Kongo, based on Kongo's excellent performances in his previous few fights, and Herring's awful performances in his previous few fights. Of the predictions I made for UFC 82, I was the most confident that Kongo would be victorious. Boy was I wrong! They looked like 2 completely different fighters last night. The commentators remarked about how improved Kongo was on the ground, but I think the big story was how improved Herring was, mainly his conditioning. He seemed slow and easily winded in his previous fights, and in this one he fought hard the entire 15 minutes.

No comments: