Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Infuriating Desktop Wallpaper

My favorite desktop wallpapers are pictures of nature that contain no trace of human activity. The following 5 wallpapers from InterfaceLIFT.com are all very close to perfect, but because of a single baffling choice by the photographer, are infuriating.

(Each of the following thumbnails link to that wallpaper's page where you can select a large version appropriate to your monitor's resolution).







The baffling choice is obviously giving the water that fluffed / smoothed / "silky" look. At first I thought it was a Photoshop effect, but from a comment from the photographer, Chris Gin, it is apparently from using a multi-stop camera. This effect is pretty common in desktop wallpapers, so I guess a lot of people like it, but man I hate it. The 5th wallpaper above, the one of the waterfall, would probably be one of my 5 all-time favorite desktop wallpapers if not not for the effect, but as it is it's probably my least favorite simply because of how awesome it could have been.

No comments: