Thursday, March 19, 2009

Winamp 5.551 Is Awesome

After 7 months since the last update, Winamp has finally been updated again, to version 5.551. This is actually a very tiny update to version 5.550, a release which I missed, but must have been sometime in the last couple weeks. Even though so far I've noticed only 2 important differences from the previous version I had installed (5.541), I think this update might just make Winamp perfect. The key differences:

1. They finally fixed the bug with "Add to Winamp's Bookmark list" appearing in Windows context menus even when you deselect it in the options. This bug has been around for a while (since version 5.35, maybe?), and for a while I was able to edit the registry to get rid of it, but with the last few versions, either I've been deleting the wrong registry entries, or the errant registry entries have been respawning every time Winamp is opened.

2. The MilkDrop 2 visualization plugin by Ryan Geiss has been updated with some new presets, and holy crap are they gorgeous. There were already so many presets I'm not 100% certain which ones are all new, and which ones are just new to me, but some of the ones I've seen since updating, such as the water ones, the bouncing geometric shapes ones, and some other ones that I don't know how to describe, are incredible beyond words.

Just for fun, I decided to do the old load my entire music library into the playlist, set it to random play, and post the first 10 songs that come up, no skipsies:

1. Edson Cordeiro - Ave Maria
2. Alanis Morissette - You Learn
3. Ben Folds - Selfless, Cold And Composed
4. Hooverphonic - Frosted Flake Wood
5. Bob Dylan - Just Like A Woman
6. The Decemberists - July, July!
7. Tori Amos - Purple People
8. Saul Williams - WTF!
9. John Williams - The Millennium Falcon, Imperial Cruiser Pursuit
10. Lamb - Softly (Bota Remix)

No comments: