Sunday, July 12, 2009

Northern Attack's 2009 Summer Writing Contest - Week 6

The prompt for Week 6: "69 Is Not A Vowel, Kevin."

And my entry:

FACT: Dwight Schrute was a contestant on Where in the World Is Carmen Sandiego?.

While Dwight had never played the computer game, his family had a large collection of National Geographic magazines that he'd read each night after finishing in the beet field, leaving him with formidable geographic knowledge and the magazines stained with beet juice.

On the show, Dwight's superior reflexes in the Lightning Round were enough to get him to first place after the first round. In the second round, he got lucky and found the loot, the warrant, and the crook, Top Grunge, on his third turn to move on to the finals.

In the finals, the big map was of the Caribbean, which was one of Dwight's specialties. The timer started and the first country named was Barbados. Dwight ran right to it, put the marker down, and the siren sounded. Dwight correctly identified the next five countries, Puerto Rico, Jamaica, CuraƧao, Haiti, and Antigua with similar ease. There were still 20 seconds left on the timer when Dwight was told the final country he needed to visit to catch Carmen: Cuba. Dwight froze. After a moment he said, "For many years now the United States has had an embargo against Cuba. It would be against the law for me to go there. What kind of Commie show is this?" The ACME Special Agent tried to explain that it was just a game, but Dwight ignored him. Dwight then picked up the final marker and shouted "Communists!" as he hurled it through the window of The Chief's office.

Dwight was disqualified without prize and the original film was destroyed. Also, everyone involved agreed never to speak of the incident again, which, come to think of it, sure does happen a lot when Dwight is involved.

----------------

I submitted this a few minutes ago with just over 30 minutes before the deadline. I wasn't sure I was going to enter a few hours ago since I didn't have an idea I liked. I'm sure I spent over a half hour minutes proofreading my entry and making small changes, and yet about 3 seconds after submitting it I noticed an obvious mistake in the very first line. D'oh! Since Blogger has no draconian penalties for correcting grammar mistakes I've taken the liberty of fixing it above.

No comments: