Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The Gods Must Be Crazy

I must have watched this movie over a dozen times as a kid. I recently watched it again for the first time in probably 15 years or more. I thought it was hilarious, although I'm not sure how much of my opinion of it was my reaction to it now, or the memories of how much I enjoyed it watching it all those times years ago. Watching it now, a few scenes that I probably didn't pay attention to before were disturbing now, such as when the male children picked up the machine guns and fired back at the rebels. Also, I had a new appreciation for how the movie inverted how we usually think of civilized vs. "uncivilized" peoples.

1 comment:

Cat Carlisle said...

I always enjoyed watching The Gods Must Be Crazy when I was younger too! I haven't seen it in a while, it used to be hard to find on VHS or DVD so we had to rely on a copy recorded off the TV. My mom was a high school teacher and it was her go-to movie for the last school day before a holiday, when the tests were over and there was no use in trying to teach anything new. :) Cathy/Clockwise