Sunday, August 9, 2009

Northern Attack's 2009 Summer Writing Contest - Wrap-Up

I just cast my last votes for this year's contest, and I ended up voting for

2 people 6 times
2 people 3 times
2 people 2 times
5 people 1 time

Reading the other people's entries was definitely my favorite part of the contest this year. Even though a lot fewer people entered this year than in the previous 3 years, there were still a lot of awesome entries.

Trimming my entries down to meet the maximum word-limit was definitely my least favorite part. I don't remember having a lot of trouble with that in previous years, but this time it was brutal.

Of my entries for the previous 4 years contests, I think my entries last year were the best I've done. My entries this year's were probably better than my entries the first two years, though.

Reviewing my entries for things I'd change, I'm happy enough with my entries for the first 2 weeks. I think my entry for the 3rd week sucks, but I don't know what I'd do differently. My entry for week 4 is probably my 2nd favorite of my entries this year. The thing I debated the most about was whether to have Michael mention that he'd been working on a hilarious AIDS joke in his letter. I guess I'm glad I left that out, though.

The poetry and song parody prompts are usually my least favorite to write for (although also some of my favorite to read the other entries for, so it's all good). With that in mind, for week 5 I took full advantage (i.e., unabashedly abused) of the no word limit thing in writing dialogue around the song parody like others did. There's one thing I wanted to include but didn't for no good reason. Instead of this:

Michael: How we doing, Pam, anything happening down there? ...Puuuush!

It would instead have been this:

Michael: How we doing, Pam, anything happening down there?

Dwight: That's what she...

Michael: (Interrupting.) Don't you dare, Dwight, that is completely inappropriate. This is a sacred occasion!

For week 6, I like my entry, but there are a few things I would change. The forgotten question mark at the end of the title in the first line, obviously. Also, even though the word limit was 300, I think my entry would have been better at 250 or even 200 words. A title I thought of the day after submitting my entry was "Do The Dwight Thing." I'm not sure if that's awesome or awful. Also, I should have had the National Geographic magazines been German. Apparently there it's just "National Geographic Deutschland," but I still wish I'd called them "Nationalen Geografisch."

For week 7, the word limit was only 250, and I really wish it had been 300. Cutting to 250 wasn't too time consuming, but the big cut I made was probably my favorite thing from any of my entries. Here's what my entry would have been if the word limit had been 300 words (new part is bold):

Jim is talking to Michael in his office. Dwight is eavesdropping from his desk, but with the door closed he only hears a few words.

Jim: Corporate... rewriting reports... pissing contest... Charles... time...

Jim returns to his desk.

Dwight: Jim, can I talk to you, privately. (Dwight motions with his head to the stairwell.)

Stairwell

Dwight: If the future of this company depends on, as you so crudely put it, a pissing contest, then I should handle it.

Jim: What... why?

Dwight: (He looks around to make sure they're alone.) Because I'm an Ultimate Urinating Championship hall of famer.

Jim: Sure you are.

Dwight: (Dwight opens his suit coat and peels back the liner to reveal over a dozen medals. He points to the top left.) Distance. (Bottom left) Duration. (Top right) Accuracy. (Bottom right) Artistry.

Jim: But don't you have chronic kidney stones? And what about that time your pee was green?

Dwight: That is the price I pay for flying too close to the sun in my quest to unleash the maximum potential of my species.


Jim: Wow...

Dwight (TH): Of course I'm proud of my success in the UUC. But if my underlings here knew just how dominant I am outside of the office, they wouldn't be able to handle it, and they'd end up like Tom.

Later that day.

Dwight returns to his desk holding a big glass of beet cider and notices Pam has several gold yogurt lids hanging around her neck.

Dwight: What are those? (Dwight looks at Jim, then back to Pam.) What league did you win those in? American or international rules? Were the judges certified?

Pam: Not now, Dwight, I'm training. (Pam sips some water.)

Dwight grunts, then chugs his glass, spilling beet cider all over himself.

------------

My entry for week 8 is my favorite of my entries this year. The one thing I didn't like was the robe and wizard hat bit near the end. I just couldn't resist referencing that meme. Even though I think that's something Michael would do, it should have been Michael having some prop(s) for a trick and saying "Who wants to see some magic?".

For week 9, I didn't decide on the idea I went with until Sunday morning. Before then I had been planning on writing about a horrible prank Dwight was going to pull on Jim. I definitely like the idea I went with a lot better, but as I wrote before, I really blew it with the part at the prison.

No comments: