Monday, May 21, 2007

My thoughts on the Season 3 finale of The Office

The Season 3 finale of The Office was the other night, and I went a big 0 for 6 on my predictions. So I think I'll refrain from making any other predictions for a while.

I had low expectations for this episode, since I didn't think they could top the previous season finale, considering how good that was. My initial reaction to the episode was that it was kind of so-so. All the Dwight in charge stuff seemed too much like The Coup redux, which was one of my least favorite episodes of the season. And unlike most episodes, I didn't have the urge to watch it again right away. But after watching it a couple more times, I think this is probably the best episode of the season. That might change, though, depending on how they resolve the unanswered questions in season 4(e.g., What happened to Karen? Are Jim and Pam really going to be dating now or are they just going to be friends or something? And perhaps most importantly, who came out on top in Kevin's calculation of who was better between Pam and Karen?).

Two other things: Am I remembering incorrectly or weren't Martin Freeman, Lucy Davis, and Mackenzie Crook supposed to guest star in an episode at some point this season? And wasn't the documentary supposed to start airing in the show's universe this season? I thought Greg Daniels or someone said that in an interview before the season started. I'm glad it didn't, though, as I think it makes a lot more sense in-show that it wouldn't air until they were done shooting, as it probably costs next to nothing to film and as soon as it started airing there would be total havoc, including that Scranton would be overrun by fans going goo-ga over Jim and Pam.

There were a ton of great quotations in this episode, but here are my favorites:

10. Michael: "Why is my office black?"
Dwight: "To intimidate my subordinates."

9. Pam: "I'm happy for him. I hope he gets the job. I really just want him to be happy. And I know that sounds cliché. And I know saying it sounds cliché sounds cliché. Maybe I'm being cliché, I don't care. 'Cause I am what I am. That's Popeye."

8. Creed: "I find it offensive. Au naturel, baby. That's how I like ‘em. Swing low, sweet chariots."

7. Pam: "Maybe one day I'll find my own Karen. But that is a, um... You know, not... a man. A man version. But, uh, until then, I can hold my head up. I'm not gay."

6. Creed: "I remember. I blogged the whole thing. www.creedthoughts.gov.www/creedthoughts. Check it out."
Ryan: "Last year, Creed asked me how to set up a blog. Wanting to protect the world from being exposed to Creed's brain, I opened up a Word document on his computer and put an address at the top. I've read some of it. Even for the intranet, it's... pretty shocking."

5. Dwight: "Jim, Jim, Jim. Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim, Jim."
Jim: "Oh. Hey, Dwight."
Dwight: "I am going to be your new boss. [laughs] It's my greatest dream come true. Welcome to the Hotel Hell. Check-in time is now, check-out time is never."
Jim: "Does my room have cable?"
Dwight: "No. And the sheets are made of fire!"
Jim: "Can I change rooms?"
Dwight: "Sorry, we're all booked up. Hell convention in town."
Jim: "Can I have a late check-out?"
Dwight: "I'll have to talk with the manager?"
Jim: "You're not the manager, even in your own fantasy?"
Dwight: "I'm the owner. The co-owner. With Satan!"
Jim: "Okay, just so I understand it. In your wildest fantasy, you are in hell. And you are co-running a bed and breakfast with the devil."
Dwight: "Yeah, but I haven't told you my salary yet."
Jim: "Go."
Dwight: "$80,000 a year!"

4. Dwight: "Now, let us discuss precipitation. Stanley, when rainfall occurs, does it usually fall in a liquid, solid, or gaseous state?"
Stanley: "Liquid."
Dwight: "Very good. You have earned one Schrute buck."
Stanley: "I don't want it."
Dwight: "Then you have been deducted 50 Schrute bucks."
Stanley: "Make it 100."
Dwight: "Don't you want to earn Schrute bucks?"
Stanley: "No. In fact, I'll give you a billion Stanley nickels if you never talk to me again."
Dwight: "What's the ratio of Stanley nickels to Schrute bucks?"
Stanley: "The same as the ratio between unicorns and leprachauns."

3. David: "Oh, hey, do you have your quarterly numbers?"
Jim: "Yes, absolutely."
David: "And that questionnaire?"
Jim: "Yep."
David: "Sorry to make you fill that thing out."
Jim: "Oh, no, absolutely."
David: "Stupid HR formality. We have this very irritating HR guy here. He's probably the only person you're not going to like. Kendall... ugh."

2. Michael: "David, I did not tell her."

1. Pam: "I haven't heard anything. But I bet Jim got the job. I mean, why wouldn't he? He's totally qualified, and smart. Everyone loves him. And if he never comes back again, that's okay. We're friends, and I'm sure we'll stay friends. We just, we never got the timing right, you know? I shot him down, and then he did the same to me and.... But you know what, it's okay. I'm totally fine. Everything is going to be totally..."
Jim: "Pam... sorry. Are you free for dinner tonight?"
Pam: "Yes."
Jim: "Alright. Then it's a date."
Pam: "I''m sorry, what was the question?"

No comments: