Thursday, October 9, 2008

Blogs & Stuff

It's now been 6 months since the last update to Mindy Kaling's Things I've Bought That I Love blog. It used to be updated pretty regularly, but not anymore. Over the whole time I read the blog, I think there was only 1 thing she ever blogged about that I was actually interested in, Kookaburra Licorice. That was over a year ago and I still haven't gotten around to trying it yet. But even though I was rarely interested in the things she was writing about, her writing was always very entertaining and made things I wouldn't normally be interested in at all interested enough to read about. But I'm leaving my Google Reader subscription in case she ever decides to start it up again.

Speaking of Google Reader, the other day I unsubscribed from MetaFilter & Penny Arcade. MetaFilter has probably 20 new items a day and I only found probably 1 item a week interesting enough to click on. I think I might enjoy Penny Arcade if I was more into video games, but I'm not.

Back to Things I've Bought That I Love, I got an idea for a kind of copycat blog that I could start that wouldn't be nearly as interesting or well written (somewhere around 1/∞ for both):

Food I've Bought That I Hate But Eat Anyway Since I Don't Want It To Go To Waste

A few possible blog topics:

1. Town House Light Buttery Crackers - Wheat

2. Santitas white corn tortilla chips (or for that matter probably just about any other brand of tortilla chip, white or yellow corn)

3. Sunflower seeds

4. Wild Oats vanilla creme sandwich cookies (Normally these are pretty good, but not during the time period when Wild Oats was eliminating trans fats from all their foods, and I got a couple packages with some experimental replacement that had gone rancid before I had even opened the package, although at the time I didn't know that's why they were so awful, and I ate half the package before figuring it out.)

Fascinating, right? Actually, I have a hard time imagining a sincere blog that's more unappealing. Well, except this one.

1 comment:

Cat Carlisle said...

I didn't know Mindy had a blog! Too bad she quit updating it. Though I added it to Google Reader just in case she ever starts up again.

My husband swears he found a hair in a bag of Santitas chips so we don't buy them anymore. (I think it's more likely that it was one of our hairs that somehow ended up in the bag, but he disagrees.)