Sunday, October 26, 2008

Kookaburra Licorice

Ok, so I've wanted to try Kookaburra Licorice for quite awhile, ever since Mindy Kaling blogged about it over a year ago. Well, with her recently restarting her blog again, I figured that now is a good as time as any to finally try it, what with the economy collapsing and all. So I spent several years' candy budget to get a few tubs of both the strawberry and black licorice from Kookaburra's website. A few days later I got it from UPS.

My first impression of the licorice was not good. The first piece I tried was tough, and it had basically no flavor until you chewed on it for almost 10 seconds, at which point a good strawberry flavor finally revealed itself. I tried a few more pieces and they were the same.

The next night I tried another piece, and it was like a whole new candy. It was not tough at all, and the strawberry flavor was there from the first bite. What happened was that when I first tried the candy the day before it was still cold from sitting in the delivery truck and waiting outside. At room temperature it is much, much better. The flavor reminds me a lot of strawberry gushers, without the gush, obviously, which I haven't eaten in years and years, but still have vivid and fond memories of eating while playing WCW Wrestling for NES.

No comments: