Thursday, June 4, 2009

Northern Attack's 2009 Summer Writing Contest - Week 1

The 4th annual Northern Attack Summer Writing Contest started on Monday, when the first of 9 writing prompts was posted:

The first week's prompt.

If it's anything like previous years, the contest should be a lot of fun, even in the likely event that, objectively speaking, my entries are the worst in the contest.

Here's my entry for the first prompt:

The Future Is Just History That Hasn't Happened Yet

Michael and Holly approach each other from opposite ends of the stage.

Holly: Hello, I'm Haley, a time traveler from 2109. Who are you?

Michael reaches for his gun.

Holly shakes her head no.

Michael: I'm Mickey Scott, a... another time traveler from 2109.

Holly: Aren't you the great-grandson of Michael Scott and... Teri Hatcher?

Michael: Yes, and you must be the great-granddaughter of Holly Flax and... A.J. Holly was the best HR rep in Dunder Mifflin history. She... (Michael looks around.) stopped an alien invasion when she discovered the evil alien leader had taken over the body of Toby Flenderson, and terminated him. Hasta la vista, Toby!

Holly: Yes, and Michael was the best regional manager in Dunder Mifflin history. After the Toby... incident, contact was made with some other aliens. These aliens were peaceful, and came from a paperless planet. Michael negotiated with them the biggest business deal in history, which made Dunder Mifflin the exclusive paper product provider for their entire planet.

Michael: Yes, and that allowed Dunder Mifflin to open many branches worldwide, and even reopen the Buffalo branch, which was closed in 2009.

The crowd complains loudly.

Holly: Oh no... you guys didn't know?

David: Michael, Holly, we need to talk.

Michael: Uh, I think maybe it's time we went back to 2109, and...

Holly: ...Had a drink to celebrate the memory of our great-grandparents.

They disappear in a flash of light and smoke.

Michael and Holly walk out of the wooded area carrying chairs.

-----

In previous year's contests I've usually posted my entries right away when I was done since I was afraid that if I didn't someone else would post an entry with a similar idea first. I finished my entry Tuesday night and just made a few minor changes since then. I figured it was unlikely anyone else would use time travelers and aliens, so I held back submitting it. So obviously, earlier today an awesome entry was posted that was Terminator and future themed. I didn't want to start over, so I went ahead and posted what I had. I'm sure I'll lose points for having an entry similar to the one before it (as I should), but it's pretty unlikely anyone would have voted for my entry anyway, and now I can stop worrying about it and just enjoy all the awesome entries for this week's prompt.

1 comment:

Cat Carlisle said...

What a great idea, I had to subscribe to that blog. The scripts so far are hilarious! And don't worry about posting after the Terminator one - I think your script is funnier. But maybe that's because I've never seen Terminator. Or Conan!