Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Northern Attack's 2007 Office Writing Contest - Week 2

Northern Attack's 2007 Office writing contest is in full swing. Submissions for the first challenge are closed and submissions for the second challenge are open, as is voting for the first challenge. I waited until the submissions for the first challenge were closed to read all the other entries. That way my judgment wouldn't be affected if I was in a good mood while reading some entries, or in a bad mood while I read others. My mood is pretty stable, but I wanted to be sure. After the first read through I was really impressed by the quality of the entries. I had high expectations going in, but wow. After my initial read through I had 1 favorite. After 3 more read throughs I had 2 favorites and 3 more that were close behind. My initial favorite was now in the 3 close behind group. I read through all the entries 3-4 more times before I was able to pick the one for the last slot. And it wasn't my initial favorite. Once the contest is over I'll make a post with who I voted for each challenge. Until then...

A little bit ago I posted my entry for the second challenge. I haven't yet found any changes I'd make, although shortly after I posted it I found out that Open Office Writer was reporting the word count wrong for some reason. I spent something like 30 minutes fiddling with wording trying to get under 250 words. After I submitted my entry I copy and pasted my entry into a new document and did a word count and it came up 226! I don't know how that happened. I checked my first entry and it was 250. Anyway, I'll have to be sure to doublecheck that before posting next time. Had I known I had 24 more words to work with I could have included Ryan's and/or Dwight's reaction at the end.

Writing Assignment #2: So Much for Sunday School

Kelly steps out of the bathroom into the kitchen area and sees Ryan walking into Michael's office.

Kelly (Talking Head): It's been tough since Ryan broke up with me. I've been trying to show him what a huge mistake he made, but he won't return my calls or emails. I'm going to have to find another way to get his attention.

Kelly unbuttons the top button of her blouse, goes through the door to the main office area, and walks toward Dwight, who's sitting at his desk.

Kelly: Hey, Dwight. How's it going?

Dwight: Okay. What do you want?

Kelly: Nothing. Except oh my god, did you see Andy Stamberg on SNL the other night? He is so funny! Rap song, rap song...

Angela looks over at Kelly talking to Dwight. Concern crosses her face.

Dwight: I'd like to see Andy Stamberg spend a week at my farm picking beets during the harvest.

Kelly: Oh.

Kelly looks to Michael's office and sees Ryan getting up, then turns back to Dwight.

Kelly: (Under her breath) Here I go again.

Kelly grabs Dwight's head and kisses him on the lips. Dwight's eyes bulge as Kelly's kiss caught him by surprise.

Angela stands up.

Angela: (Shouts) Get away from my man you hussy!

The office goes silent. Angela gasps, then looks around. Everyone is staring at her.

Angela: Frak.

No comments: