Friday, June 29, 2007

Northern Attack's 2007 Office Writing Contest - Week 4

The entries for Week 3 of Northern Attack's 2007 Writing Contest were once again very good, and once again after reading them all a bunch of times I had 2 favorites and 3 that were close behind. After reading all the entries a few more times I was able to pick the 3rd one I'd vote for. Since I cast my votes, though, I've been second guessing myself on whether I chose correctly for my 3rd vote. In any case, I can't change it now.

The challenge for Week 4 was to write a limerick about an Office character or characters. I remember writing haikus in school, but I don't ever remember writing, or even learning what a limerick was. In fact, I had to look limerick up on wikipedia to find out the rules / structure.

I didn't particularly like having to write poetry, and I disliked even more the aftereffects. After I play Tetris or Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo for awhile, when I close my eyes I still see the blocks dropping. Something similar occurred to me over the past few days, as after I worked on my limerick for awhile, I'd try to read a news article and I'd continuously be distracted by detecting rhymes, even though I wasn't consciously looking for them. Or worse, I'd find myself randomly counting syllables throughout the day.

I was going to submit this last night before the Office marathon started, but I figured I'd wait to see if I could come up with an extra verse for each person. I tried a couple ideas out, but decided to just go with what I already had. Here is my entry, which I submitted a little bit ago:

Writing Assignment #4: Uh, Booze Cruise Is Just A Rhyme...

The Accountants

He had a health scare on Mike's birthday
Tests were negative, which means OK
And those anal fissures
Got him some well wishers
Hoping Kevin's all better one day

Better hope all goes without a hitch
'Cuz she'll get irate if there's a glitch
With her stern demeanor
It's really no wonder
Creed said Angela's the office bitch

Caught faking sick with a shopping bag
Detective Dwight missed a bigger snag
But Mike let the word out
What's all the fuss about?
Big deal if Oscar's a... private guy

No comments: