Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Northern Attack's 2008 Summer Hiatus Contest - Week 5

The prompt from Week #5: Spinning Your Wheels? Well, Spin This!

My entry:

The Adventures of Beetman

Dwayne Spruce is the esteemed regional manager of Bender-Turanga paper company in Steamtown, USA. He also leads a secret life as the incredible Beetman, one of the rare vegetable inspired superheroes.

Highlights from the show's 7th episode, "Beetman Battles the Prankster VII."

It's a normal, exhilarating day at the office when the mischievous Prankster appears. He has somehow put Spruce's entire desk in gelatin.

Spruce walks out of the kitchen and sees his desk, then tells the receptionist he has to go see the dentist.

Moments later, onlookers see something moving through the parking lot.

Onlooker #1: Over there! It's a turnip...

Onlooker #2: It's a huge red crayon...

Onlooker #3: It's Beetman!

Beetman arrives in the office and removes from his belt a can of his specially formulated beet-derived prank repellent, and sprays the entire desk with it.

The gelatin changes color, flies off the desk, and wraps around the Prankster, encasing him in gelatin from the neck down.

Beetman removes a small chunk of gelatin and tastes it.

Beetman: Prankster, your deed was malicious, but your crimson prison is delicious.

Later, April O'Martin, the Peabody Award winning reporter from Steamtown's Channel 4 News and Spruce's secret girlfriend, arrives at the scene to collect statements from observers.

Later still, Spruce and O'Martin are in the Beetcave reading the statements.

April: Could you put me in gelatin?

Dwayne: Yeah, but why?

April: And eat your way to me?

Dwayne grins.

Fade to black.

-----------------------

After probably a hundred bad ideas (even by my standards), I got the idea for my entry on Tuesday. I was working on it Wednesday night when I saw an entry that had been posted that contained some similar things. I figured I'd have to use another idea, but after trying and failing to come up with something else I liked for a couple days, I was back to Beetman. I don't like writing dialogue, but I do like writing visual descriptions. A couple weeks ago I thought it would be funny to do a post with all visual descriptions except for one short line of dialogue. I didn't think I'd actually do it, but this entry is pretty close with a ton of visual descriptions and very little dialogue. If I had it to differently, I would have done something that was more creative, since I thought to fit the prompt, Dwight's show would probably not be terribly creative.

For the other entries, there were only 14 of them, so that sucked, but they were all awesome, so that made reading them very fun, but made voting difficult. I don't know if I misunderstood the prompt, but I was surprised at how many of the entries were in-Office universe spin-offs for the characters, something I never considered doing, as I instead focusing on the question from the prompt: "Tell us what one (or more) of the characters from The Office would do if given the opportunity to star in their dream television show." Anyway, I ended up having 3 favorites and 3 tied for second.

No comments: