Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Northern Attack's 2008 Summer Hiatus Contest - Week 6

The prompt from Week #6: Accepted

My entry:

A^2 + B^2 = C^2

As I'm sure a bright individual such as yourself knows, the above equation is the Pythagorean Theorem. I learned it several years ago in math class. Normally it relates to triangles or something, but to me it stands for something else, namely: Andy + Bernard = Cornell.

I've always had my heart set on Cornell, and in many ways I think it's my destiny. The fourteenth word I ever said was 'one,' which is an important part of Cornell, since without 'one,' Cornell would just be 'Crll.' After my recent campus visit, I have no doubt that Cornell University is the one for me.

I've always taken education seriously, which is apparent from looking at my history. Not so much by looking at my grades or standardized test scores, obviously, but rather through other, less quantifiable ways. Unfortunately I don't have time to go into these here.

When not in the classroom, two of my favorite activities are Frisbee and golf. I passionately believe that if there was some hybrid sport that combined Frisbee and golf, Gobee it might be called, that that would be the perfect sport. Unless you disagree, in which case I could see your point and I would then reconsider my position. No doubt I would eventually be swayed by your logic, and after rethinking things I too think that it wouldn't be the perfect sport, but it would be good to a lesser degree, similar to what you think. Like they say, great minds think alike!

Additionally, I enjoy singing whenever I get a chance. You'll find enclosed a tape of me singing "Cornell Victorious" and the "New Cornell Fight Song." Feel free to make copies for your friends!

As you can tell, I have high hopes for attending Cornell next fall. But if for some inconceivable reason that doesn't happen, I hope you'll save a spot for me in next year's admission class to Columbia University. To be honest, it's not my first choice, but at least it's still a C-word university in New York, right? Ogay Ionslay!

-----------------------

After I first read the prompt, I immediately had several ideas that I thought were decent, but it wasn't long before I figured out that my writing skills were not up to the task of writing for any of those ideas. I read some stuff online about what to do and what not to do in college essays, and hopefully that shows. I know more than a few parts don't sound anything like Andy, but I rationalized that in high school his methods would have been rather crude compared to what they have been in the last 2 seasons on the show.

There were 16 entries for this prompt, and I had a very difficult time deciding on three favorites. After reading all the entries a bunch of times I ended up with 6 that stood apart, and after reading those a bunch more times I had 3 favorites. I changed my pick for a 3rd favorite multiple times before sending in my votes.

No comments: