Thursday, June 12, 2008

Northern Attack's 2008 Summer Hiatus Contest - Week 2

The entries for the Week #1's prompt were incredible. Right after the deadline ended I spent a couple hours listening to all the original songs while reading the parody lyrics. That was fun. Then I had to decide which 3 I was going to vote for. It was fun reading them all, but not fun trying to pick 3 favorites. I eventually got it down to 7, then 5, then finally 3. I changed my mind on the 3rd one a couple times, but finally made up my mind. Last year, if I remember correctly, only like 7 of the 24 entries I voted on over the course of the competition were on the overall leader board, so it'll be interesting to see how similar my votes are to the overall top picks each week.

Here's the prompt for Week #2, which was posted the other day.

Week #2: Karen's Last Words

My entry:

Karen is in the break room getting a cup of coffee. After taking a few sips, she notices a notepad on one of the tables. She goes over to it and sees a page with her and Pam's names at the top, with attributes listed under each. She then looks at some of the other pages, and sees pages and pages of M&Ms drawn as sexy women. She realizes it's Kevin's notepad and decides to confront him about it. Before doing so she first has another cup of coffee.

Karen approaches Kevin who is sitting at his desk looking at his monitor.

Kevin: (Quietly) Peggy... nice.

Karen: KEVIN!

Kevin quickly clicks his mouse. Karen shoves the notepad in front of his face.

Karen: What is this?

Kevin looks at the notepad, then around his desk, then up at Karen.

Kevin: Hey!

Karen: Well?

Kevin glances over at Jim, then looks down.

Kevin: I can't tell you.

Karen: Yes you will tell me, Kevin. One way or another.

Karen smiles. Kevin perks up.

Later. Camera close-up on Kevin's face.

Kevin: Oh, yes. That's it. Don't stop.

Camera zooms out. Kevin is receiving a foot massage from Karen. Both are fully clothed, and she has on yellow kitchen gloves and a white paper mask.

Kevin: You know what would be great, is if you took those gloves off, and I took my socks off.

Karen: Don't push it. Anyway, I think that's enough. So spill it.

Kevin rubs his goatee for a moment.

Kevin: Well...

Just then, Pam opens the break room door and sees Karen and Kevin.

Karen: I can explain...

Pam makes a lips zipped motion with her hand.

Karen: (Quietly) Maybe you aren't a bitch after all.

Pam: What?

Karen: Nothing.

Relieved, Karen goes to hug Pam. They hug.

Kevin is watching intently, with a smile on his face.

After they're done hugging, they separate, but then Karen kisses Pam sensually.

Kevin: YES!

Kevin runs to go get his camera.

Pam pushes Karen away.

Karen: You're really going to date him?

Pam nods.

Karen: Ok.

Karen walks away.

Karen (TH): Utica, here I come.

Later. Ryan comes into the break room and looks around for something. He freezes when he sees the empty coffee pot. He goes over and looks inside the funnel.

Ryan: Oh [Bleeped].

----------

MP3 Link | Alternate Link

--------------------

This definitely wasn't my first idea, and it changed a ton as I worked on it. Initially there was a section where Karen talked to Tom (since it's an alternate universe), and there was no Pam bit at the end. I added that after completing a draft and then re-reading the prompt and realizing it did not fulfill the basic requirements of the prompt. I know my entry isn't very creative, and the "important" Pam bit isn't creative at all, but now I can relax and enjoy the other awesome entries.

ETA (6/13): The regrets begin.

Karen (TH): ...

Karen just sits there with a puzzled look on her face. She then gets up and leaves.

No comments: