Monday, June 9, 2008

My ranking of Season 4 episodes of The Office

Today I saw that OfficeTally had started OfficeTally Survivor Poll: Season 4. I was expecting it to be posted later in the summer, so that it would end in early/mid September right before the premiere of Season 5, but I guess not. Also, I thought maybe the poll would have the first 4 hourlong episodes broken down into 2 parts, since they were designed to be able to air as 2 separate episodes, and also since that would make the voting last about as long as it did for seasons 2 & 3. And as a side benefit, make them easier to evaluate since on some of them I loved the first half, but didn't care for the second half all that much (e.g., Launch Party). Anyway, today I made my first list ranking the episodes. I'm pretty comfortable with how I have the top few and bottom few, but I'm not at all sure about the middle ones. As with my lists for the previous seasons, I'll probably end up changing the list around over the next few weeks. Here is my current list:

1. Branch Wars
2. Money
3. Fun Run
4. Chair Model
5. Launch Party
6. Local Ad
7. Goodbye, Toby
8. Night Out
9. Dinner Party
10. Dunder Mifflin Infinity
11. The Deposition
12. Did I Stutter?
13. Survivor Man
14. Job Fair

A few notes:

My favorite episode of the season, Branch Wars, would have been just about perfect if they had replaced the scene in the break room where the Finer Things Club was interrupted by Kevin trying to get his vending machine purchase and Phyllis trying to make popcorn with the deleted scene (my favorite of the season) where Jim and Pam talk on the phone about Karen, and we see Michael, Jim, and Dwight in the car on their way back to Scranton from Ithaca.

Even though Survivor Man was my second least favorite episode of the season, it had my favorite scene of the season, the one where Michael does his birthday surprises to Kelly, Oscar, and Phyllis.

While I liked the deposition parts of The Deposition, I did not care for the ping pong B story, as I thought Kelly, being mean to Pam, and to a lesser extent Dwight, saying his heroes were professional ping pong players, was very out of character for them. The scene in the cafeteria with Michael and Toby is probably my 2nd favorite scene of the season.

No comments: